Sunday, October 18, 2009

BJ: O.M.G. THEY HATCHED

OK... For those of you who don't really know me outside of work - weird things just happen to me. My house is haunted, I have a few stalkers, I'm pretty lucky at poker and the list goes on. Adding to this list is some weird fascination I now have with Mexican Jumping Beans - and why in the H%^&* we allowed them into the country.

So I travel a ton (and that is an understatement). And the agreement at home is that I ALWAYS bring back the girls something from where I have been. They now could each open an airport store filled with all the crazy stuff you buy 5 min. before the plane takes off.

The last long trip I had, I wanted to buy something very cool for them. At the counter as I was buying my FIJI water and Emergen-C (which i cannot live without) I saw Mexican Jumping Beans.

Now... I am not old enough to actually remember when they first came out as gifts (that's my mom's era I think) but I do remember having them in the 70's and thinking they were fun. And so, as a cool retro gift I bought 2 of them. Took them home and we had a blast having bean races on the living room table.

The next day my 11 year old asks my why they jump. I have no clue. So I turn to Eric (for those of you who don't know, I call anything Google "Eric" at this point because if he is going to take over control of our lives, he might as well be recognized by his first name). Eric sent me some of the most HORRIFYING photo's I have ever seen.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS IN A MEXICAN JUMPING BEAN?

...
...
...

It's a BABY WORM who will become a moth.... yeah... and that jumping is the baby trying to crack the shell and get out!

Are you kidding me? Me and GG looked at these photos in horror. And all of the sudden the LAST thing we wanted was those worms cracking out of their shell at night and attacking us as they turn to killer moths.

We immediately took them outside - and screamed when we noticed one of the shells was already cracking.

So that was a few weeks ago. Little did I know that the beans were put in a spot where we could watch them. Today-we noticed they had hatched. All I can say is O.M.G. and be grossed out at the same time.

Am I a good mother? I seriously question who in the world would give their kids worms trying to break free and laugh as they jump and cant get out of their shells. This whole thing is just beyond comprehension for me.

Digital publishing, email marketing, brand advertising, starting companies... those things are simple. I get it.... freak bugs stuck in shells wanting to turn into moths from another country - just makes me shake my head.

This totally tops last years adventure when we set the empty aquarium outside and saw lots of little things swimming in it and thought were growing frogs until someone at work showed me that we were really growing mosquito's.

1 comment:

  1. You are kidding me ?!?!?!

    You didn't know there are worms in there? Grandpop Bailey and Uncle Tony (your grandpap) used to buy them for us.

    This just proves to the world, and I will confirm - you are a natural blonde. :)

    Love you.

    Kip

    ReplyDelete