Saturday, October 17, 2009

BJ: A Lesson for the Kids

A little while ago the girls were asking why some groups of people don't get along with other groups. It's hard to explain why the world isn't just one big happy group of people. So after, what seemed like hours of explanation, one of my girls rolled her eyes, and I'm pretty sure the other one was bored into a nap. It just wasn't a compelling answer.

But that all changed today! Driving home from the bank in my little suburban town I thought I had found a life changing image that would help my kids understand how and why others feel oppressed and need to have their voice heard.

To the left of the stop light, in the rain and 40 degree weather, I saw a large group of people marching down the street chanting something. They were dressed head to toe in white, and there were about 30 of them. I could hear a drum banging too.

I pulled the car over and immediately went into explanation about oppression, "the man" and having to take matters into your own hand. Power to the people! I pointed out the window up the street and told them this was an example, in the pouring rain, of how some people felt they needed to act to have their voice heard. I rolled down the windows and let the rain in so they could experience life firsthand.

My little one looks at me and says "mommy- it's a parade!" - "No! I snapped. It's a group of people fighting for a voice. Look harder." Then my 11 year old chimed in. "Yeah- um, mom, it's the high school band practicing. (insert big sigh and eye roll here)"

And yes... yes it was. The band came by the car, drum banging, pom poms flopping, all dressed head to toe in white rain ponchos.

Today's lesson is now complete. Mom is .... well... I won't post what I am on my first blog post ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment